I had an idea pop in my head. I was thinking about Super Smash Bros. So, I decided to make my own little matchup, 8-bit style. Here's some fun facts on the following:
- The Mario sprite was taken from Super Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario Bros. 3 is considered to be one of the best platformers in history. It's also coming soon to the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console services - the 3DS version will also offer Download Play, so you and a friend can play the game it was meant to be played (as in, the multiplayer Mario Bros.-like stage is accessible).
- Pit originated in 1987 in Kid Icarus. He's made more recent appearances in Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the Wii in 2008, and Kid Icarus: Uprising in 2012 on the 3DS. If you'd like, his original NES adventure can be downloaded via Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console, and is also part of the 3D Classics line on the 3DS systems (3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS).
- Mega Man also arrived on the NES in 1987 in a tougher-than-tough platformer (it was even harder than Kid Icarus, which is a challenge by itself). He was famed enough that that game spawned several sequels. In fact, Mega Man I-VI can be downloaded through the 3DS Virtual Console. More games can be downloaded via the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles.
- Last and certainly not least, Shantae first appeared in 2002 on the Game Boy Color. While Shantae was an excellent game (think along the lines of Metroid, but in an Arabian Nights setting), it was very overlooked due to launching around the Game Boy Advance's launch. Thus, the cartridge variant is EXTREMELY rare. Moral of the day, kids, is if you somehow manage to get a hold of one of those carts, do NOT under any circumstances let it out of your grasp. Even if it's used. For those of us not so lucky (or just because we all don't have small fortunes to spend on a single GBC game) to get a physical copy, the game has been released on the 3DS Virtual Console as a download. Well worth its purchase if you ask me. The only thing you miss out on through the downloaded version is the GBA features, which is a small price to pay. Shantae is also going to hit the 3DS again late this year in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.
- Three out of four of these characters are hitting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. Mario, being the series veteran/mascot, is a given. Pit is returning from Brawl with some newer moves (which involve a couple weapons from Kid Icarus: Uprising). Mega Man is a newcomer, and the third 3rd-Party Smash Bros. character, following Metal Gear Solid's Snake, and SEGA's Sonic the Hedgehog (who is also returning for Smash Bros. 4).